How to connect to UQ servers with VPN from Linux (Ubuntu)
Connecting to UQ servers
Once everything is setup (see below), these steps lead to ssh-ing to a UQ server:
- connect to
- authenticate with UQ login in the browser
- verify 2FA with Duo
- connect to
- ssh cmuq
- A UQ login (with a multi-factor authentication).
- Palo Alto Networks GlobalProtect Client (or GlobalProtect openconnect),
- Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client,
- A server with your SSH key enabled.
There is some useful info on the UQ VPN help page.
For MFA I am using Duo App.
Host cmuq HostName <your-server-hostname> IdentityFile ~/.ssh/<your-ssh-key> User <your-username>
You need to install the client which is available for download using the UQ login.
The client is not freely available.
Info about the installation under Linux.
- Login here,
- download it from here (your OS is detected and the link is probably generated).
- Install the
$ sudo bash anyconnect-linux64-4.10.05111-core-vpn-webdeploy-k9.sh [sudo] password for █████: Installing Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client... Extracting installation files to /tmp/vpn.2ERvUI/vpninst421920656.tgz... Unarchiving installation files to /tmp/vpn.2ERvUI... Starting Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Agent... Done! Exiting now.
- Run it
- Continue in the browser.
- Now you are in a VPN.
last modified: 2023-04-23